CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT ASTONISHES focuses on the critical role of employee engagement and exceptional customer service as a competitive advantage in the business landscape.

Great customer service built on a foundation of high employee engagement isn't a revolutionary concept. More companies are recognizing just how important a deliberate and intentional customer-focused culture is, but few companies do it well.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Rogers does the unexpected

It’s popular to highlight the problems experienced by one of the largest Telco’s in Canada, but today I had an unexpected experience worth repeating.

I phoned Rogers cellular today because my daughters cell phone had incurred $33.00 worth of “Premium Services” on our family plan that she was unaware she had signed up for. We wanted to stop these services before additional charges were incurred.

The CSR explained that these were not Rogers charges, but were third-party services which we needed to cancel directly with the third-party. She then explained how this could be done.

While I was on the phone, I also asked her to examine my usage and let me know if I had the best plan for our needs. She showed me how by changing my plan, for the same base rate, I could receive additional services and have extra minutes which would reduce my overall bill.

I hung up grateful for her help and feeling pretty good about the overall experience.

Then the unexpected.

An hour later I checked my cellular voicemail and found a message from my CSR. She indicated that because we had inadvertently accessed these premium services, and had called to cancel after receiving the first bill, she had credited my account for the $33.00. She was clear that this offer was extended because the first time someone accessed these services it was often based on misunderstanding how these services worked.

WOW, was I shocked. I hadn’t expected this credit, and really had no right to expect it, but I was thrilled to have been treated as loyal customer who mattered to the company.

My opinion immediately changed and this Moment of Magic has definitely put some currency in my Rogers brand bank account.

Are you looking for ways to delight your customers?

Cheers!

Bill's passion is branded customer service that exceeds expectations. He works with clients to activate a “customer-focused” culture where engaged employees internalize the brand promise and deliver an intentional Branded Customer Experience -- internally and externally.

As well, he is a dynamic, results-oriented speaker on the importance of a customer-focused culture, either as a guest speaker or acting as a facilitator of a group discussion/workshop.

For more information please contact (905) 841-3191
Email: bill@billhogg.ca, Web: www.billhogg.ca

No comments: