CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT ASTONISHES focuses on the critical role of employee engagement and exceptional customer service as a competitive advantage in the business landscape.

Great customer service built on a foundation of high employee engagement isn't a revolutionary concept. More companies are recognizing just how important a deliberate and intentional customer-focused culture is, but few companies do it well.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

CIBC policy hurts more than it helps?

Yesterday I tried to use my CIBC credit card to purchase some new lights for our home -- approximately $700.00. However, when I went to pay, my credit card was declined -- twice. Embarrassed by the fact that my bank had refused me credit, I was forced to use a different credit.

When I returned home, I called the CIBC to find out why I had been declined. My monthly payments are through pre-authorized withdrawal, I never carry a balance and I was way under my credit limit.

The explanation from the CSR was that CIBC had declined your card so I would call in and they could confirm that the card has not compromised, lost or stolen. They explained they did this periodically as a safety feature to protect their customers.

To add further insult to injury, I was then forced to answer a number of questions about when, where and how much my last purchases were.

So in their claimed effort to provide me with protection, the actually have set themselves up to upset their customers.

I now have a ticking time bomb in my wallet. I never know the next time it will go off and I will face the embarrassment of having my card declined. Maybe next time it will be with a client, or possibly friends, who will question my financial management when my credit card is declined.

Of course, one way to avoid this situation is to cancel the card. Which has exactly the opposite affect for CIBC than they intended.

So, don't be like CIBC. Make sure you think through your policies from the customer viewpoint. Don't do more harm than good.

Something to think about!

Cheers!

Bill's passion is branded customer service that exceeds expectations. He works with clients to activate a “customer-focused” culture where engaged employees internalize the brand promise and deliver an intentional Branded Customer Experience -- internally and externally.

As well, he is a dynamic, results-oriented speaker on the importance of a customer-focused culture, either as a guest speaker or acting as a facilitator of a group discussion/workshop.

For more information please contact (905) 841-3191
Email: bill@billhogg.ca, Web: http://www.billhogg.ca/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They've obviously never thought this through. I'd be furious that they'd purposely embarrass and inconvenience me all in the name of security. If they doubted the security of my card "call me!" they've got my number.

That's an incredibly ignorant policy.