CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT ASTONISHES focuses on the critical role of employee engagement and exceptional customer service as a competitive advantage in the business landscape.

Great customer service built on a foundation of high employee engagement isn't a revolutionary concept. More companies are recognizing just how important a deliberate and intentional customer-focused culture is, but few companies do it well.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is anybody really listening

As a customer do you ever feel that no one is listening to you or thinking about your needs? How often have you been in a situation where the service provider clearly demonstrates that in spite of their words, their actions communicate that they are not listening.

For example, I recently went to pick up my dry cleaning. The cleaners have always been very helpful and looked after my needs quite well. No complaints.

They run a loyalty program where for every so many dollars purchased I get a $15.00 credit -- nice. However, whenever I pick up my laundry, I have to remember to go through a pile of cards that they store in flat rolodex files, get my card, have it stamped and then return it to the file.

On this particular day I mentioned that given the technology today they should have it on their computer system that whenever I spend over a certain amount they could surprise me and reward me with a $15.00 discount. Same program, but more convenient for the customer and provides the cleaner the opportunity to delight me.

Their response (said very nicely) was they already had lots going on at the cash register when a customer was purchasing and that would just add another step.

When I mentioned that it was not a very customer-focused response they assured me they were very customer focused -- and frankly they are.

It just served to remind me that even people/companies that are customer-focused still need to listen. We may be doing many things right -- but when a loyal customer offers a comment or suggestion -- shut up and LISTEN.

We can always improve and that usually starts with listening.

Cheers!

Bill's passion is branded customer service that exceeds expectations. He works with clients to activate a “customer-focused” culture where engaged employees internalize the brand promise and deliver an intentional Branded Customer Experience -- internally and externally.

As well, he is a dynamic, results-oriented speaker on the importance of a customer-focused culture, either as a guest speaker or acting as a facilitator of a group discussion/workshop.

For more information please contact (905) 841-3191
Email: bill@billhogg.ca, Web: http://www.billhogg.ca/

No comments: