CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT ASTONISHES focuses on the critical role of employee engagement and exceptional customer service as a competitive advantage in the business landscape.

Great customer service built on a foundation of high employee engagement isn't a revolutionary concept. More companies are recognizing just how important a deliberate and intentional customer-focused culture is, but few companies do it well.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Bell Canada

So I thought I would start with a recent experience with Bell Canada about my satellite TV. I had the occasion to contact Bell for the 3rd time this week because my satellite TV isn't functioning correctly. Imagine my surprise when each time they answered the phone "How can I provide excellent customer service today". Boy were my expectations set.

So what was my problem? Well the satellite box wasn't saving the TV Guide, so I couldn't tell what was playing unless I scrolled through every channel. The first time I called I was told to re-boot and then call back if that didn't work and they would send me a new box. After all, this one is a rental.

The second time I called I was assured they would fix the problem from their end, so no need to get a new box.

Obviously, since I was now calling a third time, the problem was still there. So imagine my frustration when I was transfered to 4 different people before getting resolution. And the worst part was I finally had to threaten to cancel my subscription to get what I needed.

So what did I learn from this experience?

  1. Make sure that you are not over-promising. When we set customer expectations we have the opportunity to meet and exceed them. However, an over-promise can set an expectation that is impossible to meet, even with the best intentions
  2. Empower your employees to look after the customer the first time. Don't transfer the customer to get resolution -- particularly when common sense dictates the solution.

Cheers!

No comments: